Pages

Jumat, 17 September 2021

US admits deadly Kabul blast killing 10 civilians including 7 children 'was a tragic mistake' - ABC News

A US drone strike in Kabul last month killed as many as 10 civilians, including seven children, a senior US general says.

Family accounts suggest Zemerai Ahmadi's car was struck by a Hellfire missile just as he pulled into the driveway. 

"It was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology," US General Frank McKenzie, the head of US Central Command, told reporters.

He added that he believed it unlikely the vehicle hit or those who died were Islamic State militants or posed a direct threat to US forces at Kabul's airport.

The Pentagon had initially defended the drone strike, saying the vehicle was struck "in the earnest belief" that it posed an imminent threat.

A man holds out his phone screen to display an image of a man with short dark hair
Afghan man Zemerai Ahmadi, 37, is believed to have been killed in the blast.(

AP Photo/Bernat Armangue

)

The fatal strike by US forces occurred days after a suicide bombing — for which Islamic State affiliate group IS-K claimed responsibility — near Kabul's international airport, which killed 95 Afghans and 13 troops. 

Among the dead and injured were locals wanting to flee Afghanistan after the Taliban's takeover in late August. 

The following day, US military carried out a targeted drone strike on an Islamic state "planner" in retaliation for the bombing. 

For days after the August 29 strike, officials asserted that it had been conducted correctly.

But local witnesses and international media were quick to report the blast had taken the lives of civilians.

"All the neighbours tried to help and brought water to put out the fire and I saw that there were 5 or 6 people dead," CNN reported a witness as saying.

News organisations reported that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a longtime employee at an American humanitarian organisation and cited an absence of evidence to support the Pentagon's assertion that the vehicle contained explosives.

Drone strike 'a tragic mistake'

The Pentagon announced a review revealing only civilians were killed in the attack, not an Islamic State extremist as first believed.

"The strike was a tragic mistake," Marine General McKenzie said.

"We now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with ISIS-K, or a direct threat to US forces," he added, referring to the Islamic State group's Afghanistan affiliate.

McKenzie said the United States was considering making reparation payments to the family of the victims.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley, told reporters two days after the attack that it appeared to have been a "righteous" strike and that at least one of the people killed was a "facilitator" for ISIS-K. 

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
Play Video. Duration: 53 seconds
The US military and the Taliban confirmed the strike on the vehicle, which was believed to be heading to Kabul airport.

After General McKenzie's remarks, General Milley expressed regret.

"This is a horrible tragedy of war and it's heart wrenching," he said.

"We are committed to being fully transparent about this incident.

"In a dynamic high-threat environment, the commanders on the ground had appropriate authority and had reasonable certainty that the target was valid.

"After deeper post-strike analysis our conclusion is that innocent civilians were killed."

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
Play Video. Duration: 8 minutes 3 seconds
The Taliban are back. What happens now?

ABC/wires

Adblock test (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiX2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvbmV3cy8yMDIxLTA5LTE4L3VzLWFkbWl0cy1rYWJ1bC1haXItc3RyaWtlLWtpbGxlZC0xMC1jaXZpbGlhbnMvMTAwNDczMTIy0gEoaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9hcnRpY2xlLzEwMDQ3MzEyMg?oc=5

2021-09-17 20:10:06Z
52781887001056

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar