Pages

Minggu, 12 September 2021

FBI releases newly declassified record on September 11 attacks, providing details of hijackers' contact with Saudi associates - ABC News

The FBI has released a newly declassified document related to logistical support given to two of the Saudi hijackers in the run-up to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The document details contacts the hijackers had with Saudi associates in the United States but does not provide proof that senior Saudi government officials were complicit in the plot.

Released on the 20th anniversary of the attacks, the document is the first investigative record to be disclosed since US President Joe Biden ordered a declassification review of materials that for years have remained out of public view.

The 16-page document is a summary of a 2015 FBI interview with a man who had frequent contact with Saudi nationals in the US who supported the first hijackers to arrive in the country before the attacks.

Mr Biden last week ordered the Justice Department and other agencies to conduct a declassification review and release what documents they can over the next six months.

Crowd gathers at the ceremoney of the 20th anniversary of the September 11 attacks
President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden attend a ceremony marking the 20th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York.(

AP: Evan Vucci

)

He had encountered pressure from victims' families, who have long sought the records as they pursue a lawsuit in New York alleging that Saudi government officials supported the hijackers.

The heavily redacted document was disclosed on Saturday night, hours after Mr Biden attended September 11 memorial events in New York, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia.

Victims' relatives had earlier objected to Mr Biden's presence at ceremonial events as long as the documents remained classified.

The Saudi government has long denied any involvement in the attacks.

The Saudi Embassy in Washington said it supported the full declassification of all records as a way to "end the baseless allegations against the kingdom once and for all."

The embassy said that any allegation that Saudi Arabia was complicit was "categorically false".

The trove of documents is being released at a politically delicate time for the US and Saudi Arabia, two nations that have forged a strategic — if difficult — alliance, particularly on counterterrorism matters.

A man and woman looking upward while holding a red rose.
Family members of September 11 victims have welcomed the release of the declassified document.(

Reuters: Amr Alfiky

)

Victims' relatives cheered the document's release as a significant step in their effort to connect the attacks to Saudi Arabia.

"The findings and conclusions in this FBI investigation validate the arguments we have made in the litigation regarding the Saudi government's responsibility for the 9/11 attacks," Jim Kreindler, a lawyer for the victims' relatives, said in a statement.

"This document, together with the public evidence gathered to date, provides a blueprint for how [Al Qaeda] operated inside the US with the active, knowing support of the Saudi government."

That includes, he added, Saudi officials exchanging phone calls among themselves and Al Qaeda operatives and then having "accidental meetings" with the hijackers while providing them with assistance to get settled and find flight schools.

Regarding September 11, there has been speculation of official involvement since shortly after the attacks, when it was revealed that 15 of the 19 attackers were Saudis.

Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda at the time, was from a prominent family in the kingdom.

The US investigated some Saudi diplomats and others with Saudi government ties who knew hijackers after they arrived in the US, according to documents that have already been declassified.

The 9/11 Commission report found in 2004 "no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded" the attacks that Al Qaeda masterminded, though it noted Saudi-linked charities could have diverted money to the group.

AP

Adblock test (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiYGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvbmV3cy8yMDIxLTA5LTEyL2ZiaS1yZWxlYXNlcy1kZWNsYXNzaWZpZWQtc2VwdGVtYmVyLTExLWRvY3VtZW50LzEwMDQ1NTY2MtIBKGh0dHBzOi8vYW1wLmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvYXJ0aWNsZS8xMDA0NTU2NjI?oc=5

2021-09-12 05:29:30Z
52781876433145

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar