Pages

Selasa, 09 Februari 2021

Live breaking news: 100-year-old charged with Nazi concentration camp murders - NEWS.com.au

A 100-year-old man in Germany has been charged with the murder of over 3500 people at the Nazi death camp of Sachsenhausen during World War two, 76 years after the completion of the planet’s largest-ever conflict.

Scroll down for all the updates throughout the morning.

Live Updates

A team of German prosecutors have charged a 100-year-old man with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder following allegations he served Nazi Germany as an SS guard at one of the regime's concentration camps.

The man, who has been kept anonymous per German privacy laws, is alleged to have spent three years working at the Sachsenhausen camp after joining the Nazi Party's paramilitary wing.

The camp was established in 1936 and is estimated to have seen over 200,000 prisoners die within its walls due to starvation, disease and planned SS-led exterminations.

Prosecutor Cyrill Klement, who began working on the case in 2019 as part of Germany's federal prosecutors' office for investigating Nazi-era war crimes, said the suspect is healthy enough to stand trial despite his old age.

The development came just a week after a 95-year-old woman who allegedly worked as a secretary for the SS at Germany's Stutthof concentration camp was also charged with accessory to murders committed during the war.

“The advanced age of the defendants is no excuse to ignore them and allow them to live in the peace and tranquility they denied their victims,” Efraim Zuroff of the Simon Wiesenthal Center said.

A gunman has opened fire inside a Minnesota health clinic in the United States. Reports from the scene also claim least one bomb exploded, leaving several people critically wounded.

Police rushed to the Allina Health Clinic in Buffalo before 11am local time (5am AEDT) after police recieved reports of shots fired.

A male caller from the scene reported there were multiple explosive devices that went off inside the building, emergency dispatch audio reveals.

“Glass shattered all across,” an officer said over the radio.

Multiple “improvised explosive devices” were found at the healthcare facility, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said during a briefing with reporters, but was unable to provide more details.

“At this time it appears like it was a single individual and again too early to tell motives or reasons why or discuss in a little more detail,” Mr Walz said.

More details on the developing incident can be found here.

Two schools in Melbourne’s northwest have been closed after seven venues from one town were added to the list of coronavirus public exposure sites.

Salesian College Sunbury and St Anne’s Catholic Primary School in Sunbury are both closed on Wednesday due to COVID-19 concerns in the area.

Both schools are not listed as public exposure sites, but it’s believed the schools have been closed as a “precautionary measure” after seven venues in Sunbury were added to the alerts list by the health department late on Tuesday night.

Parents and families received text messages advising of the closures on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. St Anne’s confirmed the closure and said parents had been advised to await further advice from the school on Wednesday.

A confirmed case of coronavirus visited several stores in Sunbury Square Shopping Centre on February 5 and 6 as well as the Cellarbrations bottle shop in Batman Avenue on February 6 and 7.

NCA Newswire

Harvard researchers have produced a study claiming fossil fuel pollution as the cause of nearly 20% of adult mortality across the globe. The study, co-authored by Professor of environmental epidemiology Joel Schwartz, claims eight million people died prematurely in 2018 as a result of air pollution.

The study identified Europe, North America and South-East Asia as the worst-hit areas, with China and India accounting for approximately half the deaths.

“We often discuss the dangers of fossil fuel combustion in the context of CO2 and climate change and overlook the potential health impact," Mr Schwartz said.

The new data was combined with a previous Global Burden of Disease Study, which claimed pollution had claimed the lives of over 4.2 million people. Past studies have asserted that heavy air pollution decreases the lifespan of people by more than two years, with residents in Asia being the worst off with an approximate loss of four years off their life expectancy in particularly dense areas.

Aussie World No. 1 Ash Barty dropped just 10 points in a 44-minute pummelling of Danka Kovinic in the first round of the Australian Open.

Barty's 6-0 6-0 win is the first time an Australian has failed to drop a game at Melbourne Park since Wendy Turnbull in 1985.

“I wanted to go out there and almost take the sting, take the pepper out of the match a little bit and get it on my terms as much as possible right from the get-go and make it feel like she had a real mountain to climb,” Barty said.
“I think that was probably the most pleasing overall is that right from the start I set the tone and was able to run away with it.

She will now go up against fellow Aussie Daria Gavrilova in the second round.

You might want to 𝗔𝗱𝗱 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗸𝘀 📝@ashbarty concedes 🔟 points en route to the second round of #AO2021.#AusOpen pic.twitter.com/Sx8rjSmRYA

— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) February 9, 2021
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Meanwhile in the men's Aussie Thanasi Kokkinakis has advanced into the second round at the Open for the first time in six years. The 24-year-old went 6-4 6-1 6-1 over World No. 92 Kwon Soon-woo — and recieved a message from the great Roger Federer for his troubles.

Federer, who is sitting out this year's Australian Open, sent a message to Kokkinakis on Instagram saying he was "happy for" the young star.

A team of experts in China have issued a fresh warning over the spread of Covid-19, claiming it's possible for the virus to spread through frozen foods.

The development came after investigators claimed the virus had not originated in a lab or come from bats, as was previously believed.

Instead, new findings point to frozen meat.

WHO food safety and animal disease specialist Dr Peter Ben Embarek said that “cold chain” transmission through the transport of frozen goods was possible and warranted further investigation.

Dr Embarek said the investigative team in Wuhan had tried to identify other any other species that were present at the Huanan seafood market in Wuhan that could have introduced the coronavirus, but admitted “a lot of work needs to be done” before a conclusive claim could be made.

Former US President Donald Trump will front the senate today as his second impeachment trial gets underway in Washington DC.

Trump was impeached on January 13 for the incitement of insurrection. The Democrats argue the controversial outgoing president was responsible for the violence that unfolded on January 6 as his supporters tried to stop Congress from counting the electoral votes by storming the Capitol.

House impeachment managers introduce video evidence as part of their case against Donald Trump, depicting one of the darkest days in American history. pic.twitter.com/7G2Jf1PEnQ

— Josh Campbell (@joshscampbell) February 9, 2021
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Mr Trump’s legal team has argued the trial is unconstitutional because he is no longer president.
The argument over the trial's legitimacy is expected to dominate this first day of proceedings, with up to four hours being set aside for a debate on the constitutionality issue, which will be followed by a vote to determine whether the trial proceeds.

Victoria is facing an emerging outbreak in a quarantine hotel after a second worker at the Holiday Inn quarantine site and a returned traveller who has already completed quarantine tested positive to COVID-19.

It comes as Victoria’s Department of Health released new exposure sites overnight, warning residents to “immediately isolate, get tested and remain isolated for 14 days” if they had attended.

The quarantine returned traveller had already completed quarantine and left the facility on Sunday.

She got tested after an initial hotel quarantine staff member in her 50s tested positive on Sunday to the virus – found later to be the more infectious UK strain.

DH was notified today of a resident of the Hotel Quarantine facility at Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport who has tested positive to coronavirus (COVID-19) after completing their 14-day quarantine. A strong public health response is underway, building on measures already in place.

— VicGovDH (@VicGovDH) February 9, 2021
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Her result came out as positive on Tuesday, despite testing negative a number of times during her 14-day quarantine.

Late on Tuesday, Health Minister Martin Foley also confirmed a food and beverage worker at the quarantine hotel has also tested positive.

“It’s early days but it would appear that it was one particular floor,” he said.

See the full list of exposure sites here.

Related topics

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiiQFodHRwczovL3d3dy5uZXdzLmNvbS5hdS9uYXRpb25hbC9ydXNoLWhvdXIvbGl2ZS1icmVha2luZy1uZXdzLWF1c3RyYWxpYS11cGRhdGVzLXdvcmxkLW5ld3MvbGl2ZS1jb3ZlcmFnZS81ZjkzMDc5MGZlY2I4ZmM1MjYwMDVmNDBmNjZkYjczMNIBAA?oc=5

2021-02-09 19:19:29Z
CBMiiQFodHRwczovL3d3dy5uZXdzLmNvbS5hdS9uYXRpb25hbC9ydXNoLWhvdXIvbGl2ZS1icmVha2luZy1uZXdzLWF1c3RyYWxpYS11cGRhdGVzLXdvcmxkLW5ld3MvbGl2ZS1jb3ZlcmFnZS81ZjkzMDc5MGZlY2I4ZmM1MjYwMDVmNDBmNjZkYjczMNIBAA

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar