Pages

Minggu, 01 November 2020

Two dead, five injured and suspect arrested after fatal Halloween stabbing in Quebec - ABC News

Two people were killed and five wounded after being stabbed by a man dressed in medieval clothes and wielding a sword in Canada's Quebec city, police said.

Police arrested a 24-year-old man from Montreal early on Sunday morning (local time), Quebec Police Chief Robert Pigeon said at a news conference.

Mr Pigeon said the suspect had come prepared to inflict as much damage as possible but did not elaborate.

He added that preliminary information indicated the man was not affiliated with any terror group but had spoken of conducting an attack "in a medical context" five years ago, but was not known to police and did not have a criminal record.

The incident began late Saturday night (local time), on Halloween, inside the city's famed walled centre.

Loading

Police told nearby residents to stay indoors and made an arrest after a three-hour manhunt.

Carlos Godoy, who lives in the area, said police K-9 units had searched his backyard as they hunted for the suspect.

"It's a full moon, it's October 31st. It's Halloween, and it's a lockdown weekend. No-one should be out on the streets," Mr Godoy said.

"And I'm in an extremely quiet neighbourhood because there are no tourists nowadays."

The five injured people are in hospital but authorities say their lives are not in danger.

In a tweet, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, "My heart breaks for the loved ones of the two people killed in last night’s horrific attack in Quebec City."

Loading

Quebec's Mayor called for a discussion on mental health.

"It is once again, we believe, an isolated act," Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume told reporters.

The incident is the latest in a number of serious attacks to take place in Canada recently.

In 2017, a Canadian man gunned down six people at a Quebec City mosque and was later sentenced to life in prison.

Earlier this year in Nova Scotia, 1,000 kilometres from Quebec, a man dressed as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police killed 16 people in the deadliest mass killing the nation has seen.

Wires/ABC

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMibmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvbmV3cy8yMDIwLTExLTAyL2NhbmFkaWFuLXBvbGljZS1hcnJlc3QtbWFuLWFmdGVyLWZhdGFsLXN0YWJiaW5nLXJhbXBhZ2UtcXVlYmVjLzEyODM3MDAw0gEnaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9hcnRpY2xlLzEyODM3MDAw?oc=5

2020-11-01 17:05:00Z
52781159202622

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar