Pages

Sabtu, 05 September 2020

'No signs of life' in Beirut building rubble after three-day search for blast survivors - ABC News

Rescue workers digging through the rubble of a Beirut building for the third day say there is no longer hope of finding someone alive more than a month after a massive port explosion shattered Lebanon's capital.

About 50 rescue workers and volunteers, including a specialist team from Chile, had worked for three days to locate possible survivors after sensors on Thursday detected signs of breathing and heat.

"Technically speaking, there are no signs of life," Francisco Lermanda, the head of volunteer rescue group Topos Chile, said in a news conference on Saturday evening, adding that rescuers had combed 95 per cent of the building.

The signs of life detected in the past two days, Mr Lermanda said, were breaths of fellow rescuers already inside the building picked up by their sensitive equipment.

He said efforts would now focus on clearing the rubble and finding remains.

"We never stop with even 1 per cent of hope," Mr Lermanda said, of finding a body.

"We never stop until the job is done."

The August 4 blast killed about 190 people, injured 6,000 more, and devastated whole neighbourhoods.

A huge explosion at a port creates a cloud of debris many times higher than tall apartment buildings.
The massive explosion happened near the port in Beirut last month.(Twitter: Borzou)

The authorities held ceremonies on Friday to mark a month since the explosion tore into a city already reeling from a crippling economic crisis.

Rescue efforts dominated local and social media, with locals transfixed, desperate for a miracle.

None came.

The ruined building were the search was continuing lies between the residential districts of Gemmayze and Mar Mikhael, among the areas hardest hit by the blast and home to many old buildings that crumbled as the shockwave ripped through.

Work was slow, rescue workers said earlier in the day, as the badly damaged building was at risk of complete collapse.

"The building is really crumbling, it's scary and there's a lot of danger to the team," said George Abou Moussa, head of Lebanon's civil defence.

Workers used shovels and their hands to dig, while mechanical diggers and a crane lifted heavy debris.

Scanning equipment was also used to create 3D images of the wrecked building.

A woman stands on her balcony as she looks at rescuers searching at the site of a collapsed building in Beirut
People throughout Lebanon observed a moment of silence on Friday marking one month since the devastating explosion.(AP: Bilal Hussein)

Reuters

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiaGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvbmV3cy8yMDIwLTA5LTA2L25vLXNpZ25zLW9mLWxpZmUtaW4tYmVpcnV0LXJ1YmJsZS1hZnRlci10aHJlZS1kYXktc2VhcmNoLzEyNjM0Mjg00gEnaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAuYWJjLm5ldC5hdS9hcnRpY2xlLzEyNjM0Mjg0?oc=5

2020-09-06 00:28:00Z
52781043671013

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar