Pages

Rabu, 10 Juni 2020

Black Lives Matter protester among eight new coronavirus infections in Victoria - ABC News

Victoria has recorded eight new coronavirus cases, including one person who attended a Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne on Saturday.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the man in his 30s was "very unlikely" to have acquired the virus at the protest and was not showing symptoms on the day, but he may have been infectious at the demonstration.

"I hope that anyone who has attended that [protest], and indeed across Victoria, who develop symptoms that are compatible with coronavirus really need to isolate themselves, get tested, get that result back and become well before they get out and about again," Professor Sutton said.

It is estimated 10,000 people attended the anti-racism protest in Melbourne on Saturday, which was calling for an end to Aboriginal deaths in custody.

In a Facebook post on Monday morning, the Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance (WAR) group told its followers they should self-isolate for 14 days, not visit elderly people during this period and should speak to a doctor if they developed any symptoms.

Black Lives Matter protesters packed tightly together at the rally.
The man developed symptoms on Sunday, the day after the rally.(ABC News: Simon Tucci)

Victoria's COVID-19 restrictions still only allow gatherings of up to 20 people outside, and authorities had urged people to not attend the protest.

But the Opposition has criticised the Government for not taking a harder stance on the demonstration.

Most of those at the demonstration on Saturday were seen to be wearing masks and hand sanitiser was given out throughout the day, but crowds were tightly packed at many points.

Professor Sutton said it was "obviously helpful" the infectious man was wearing a mask, but warned "masks are not 100 per cent protection".

He said the man was diagnosed through routine testing and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) would go through the normal process of identifying close contacts.

How he contracted the virus is still under investigation.

Victoria still has community transmission of COVID-19, with 179 of the 1,699 cases in the state unable to be traced back to a known source.

Authorities had earlier said it would be one to two weeks before the full impact of the protests on transmission of the virus was known.

"We were all concerned about the possibility of transmission occurring at that protest," Professor Sutton said.

"We really need to keep an eye out [for new cases to see if there was community transmission]."

Professor Sutton said he did not know whether the demonstrator had downloaded the COVIDSafe app.

He said there was no need for everyone who attended the protest to stay home.

"The quarantine requirements are for known contacts of a confirmed case. But anyone who develops symptoms, no matter how mild, does need to isolate," he said.

"That especially applies to those who've been to the protest because we know that they've had potential exposure. But it applies across the board in Victoria."

Childcare centre closed after toddler contracts COVID-19

The Professor Lynn Corcoran Early Learning Centre in Parkville has been closed for 24 hours for cleaning after a toddler who attended the childcare centre contracted the virus.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said the child was not showing symptoms while at the centre, but could have been infectious.

"Staff and children are required to remain at home while contact tracing occurs. We will update the centre community and the public when this has been completed," FROBEL, which runs the facility, said in a statement.

"We understand this news will be concerning for families and our team of teachers and educators. We want to assure everyone that we are strictly following the public health advice of DHHS to ensure the safety of all children and staff."

A person who had previously worked at the Bupa Aged Care facility in Clayton has also tested positive.

"The former employee worked their final shift at Bupa Clayton on Thursday, June 4, and is now in self-isolation. Bupa continues to maintain contact with the former employee to offer support," Bupa said in a statement.

"All staff and residents at the Clayton home will now undergo COVID-19 testing today and tomorrow and will receive ongoing support."

The outbreak at the Rydges on Swanston hotel is now linked to 15 infections, after a household contact of another case contracted the virus.

The hotel in Melbourne CBD has been used to quarantine returned travellers.

Professor Sutton said there had been a thorough review of processes at the Rydges to try to determine how the initial transmission occurred and prevent such spread from happening again.

The review included looking at how personal protective equipment was used and disposed of, cleaning arrangements and understanding of social distancing.

"All of that' been reviewed but there will be a further digging in to what might have happened to see if there are further recommendations to make."

They did not work while infectious but all staff and residents of the facility were being tested as a precaution.

Two of the state's latest infections were detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine, while two more were under investigation.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMibGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvbmV3cy8yMDIwLTA2LTExL3ZpY3Rvcmlhbi1ibGFjay1saXZlcy1tYXR0ZXItcHJvdGVzdGVyLWRpYWdub3NlZC1jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy8xMjM0MzEzMNIBJ2h0dHBzOi8vYW1wLmFiYy5uZXQuYXUvYXJ0aWNsZS8xMjM0MzEzMA?oc=5

2020-06-11 03:35:53Z
52780841139325

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar